All About Me, Medical Malarky, Parking Permits. An Update! Yay!

Most people in their right minds would be asleep. Most people would be. I would be

…Except, I’m not. I’m wide-awake and my brain simply refuses to shut down. So I thought “ What better time to write about my life and current goings on” Because, you know, that’s what people care about at 3am on a Saturday morning – obviously :/




To begin with, it has been a minute and a half (no it hasn’t) since I wrote my last update. Things have happened, stuff has occurred and mini meltdowns have taken place as a result.


Mini meltdowns I hear you say. Do go on. Well, actually no I don’t. I don’t hear you say that at all. In fact the only thing I hear quite audibly is the ringing (or rather hissing) in my right ear. It’s been going on and on and on and on and on for a little over … counts fingers 6 months and show no signs of stopping. So, you know, yay for that.


Since the last time I spoke about the infernal damnation that is the ringing in my right ear, it has since been diagnosed as TMJ or Temporomandibular Joint Disorder- which explains the ringing, the pain in my jaw, the right-sided facial swelling, the screaming migraines and general all round discomfort that has been my constant companion for the better part of half a year. Mind you, it’s taken 6 Dr’s, two hearing tests, a rather expensive visit to an Ear –Nose- and- Throat Specialist and a partridge in a pear tree to figure that out but better late than never, right?


That being said, I am due to go and get an MRI on the old noggin in the next few weeks to make sure that all is in working order and this TMJ business hasn’t manifested into something more sinister. Just to be safe. I mean, at least physically safe.. My wallet is going to cop an absolute battering but…I’ll be physically safe… In a giant MRI machine… after being injected with blue dye…in a room…by myself… with a….


Oh God…


And I’m going to die. Eeep!


In other news, it seems the stress of all this business has also caused me to start having major nosebleeds – pretty much on the regs. Oh the joy. This means that I have yet another appointment with another E.N.T. to determine whether it is within my best interest to have my nasal cavities cauterized in order to stop the bleeding.


Excellent. This is also going to be an exercise in expensive – just not as expensive – and at least with this one I appear to get a pittance back from Medicare. Hurrah!


With all this medical malarkey going on, it’s starting to affect me in that it’s making it very difficult to do my job. The last 6 months have seen me use all my sick leave credits and put a rather large hole in my rec leave (This rolls over by about 5 hours every two weeks. At the moment I’m almost at 0)credit. So, after discussions with the Husband (after a very significant stress/pain related meltdown in the kitchen one morning just over a week ago) we agreed that I could reduce my working hours to the equivalent of 5 days a week to 4 for a time in order to get my self sorted out and back to a reasonable state of .. Normal? Anyway…


I approached my work place with this decision last week and after a meeting, filling in some forms, another meeting, getting more forms, attending two medical appointments in regards to said forms, handing the forms in, another meeting to get the paper work to sign off on stating the fact that I had attended the meeting to obtain the paperwork that allowed me to attend the medical appointments I needed to have in order for my work place to approve a reduction in hours, receiving an email to say that everything was being sent off to be approved by HR and then after having everything approved by HR and our Rostering department – I am finally able to start working 4 days a week for the next 3 months starting from this coming Wednesday.


Thank God.


There are benefits to this.


  • I have the opportunity to attend medical appointments without using my Rec leave credits (although, I have a feeling these will be reduced slightly over the next 3 months due to less working hours) or requiring a medical certificate.
  • It will give me that extra day a week to do the things that I want to do like get a haircut and colour and get an eyebrow wax
  • It will mean less stress for me. Working 5 days a week in the city is an absolute bastard at the best of times and the travel is always a killer.
  • It will give me the chance to work more on my creative projects and actually get my YOU TUBE channel off the ground.
  • I get 1 day a week away from Customers. Away from bitchy, pissy, moaning, complaining, wastes of space that have nothing better to do than complain because they suffer from a rather large sense of self-entitlement.


Sure, it’s less money for a few months but I’ll be better off physically and mentally and that’s the most important thing.


Speaking of which, I have now decided to bite the bullet and apply for a disability-parking permit. There’s no need to panic. I’m not the one that’s going to be driving. I gave that up in 2008 when I wrote off my car after hitting the curb at 60kms and almost rolling it onto its roof. Suffice to say, I’ve never been able to get behind the wheel of a car again and, in all honesty, the last time I even considered the return to driving, by that stage my eyesight had become so bad that it really would not be worth it. (Although, ironically, when I first got my licence I was asked if I wanted a disability-parking permit as I was entitled to one. Naturally, in my desperation not to appear disabled at all.. I said no. Duh)

The reason is that lately my Osteoarthritis has been playing up and on top of everything else it’s making it very difficult for me to get about. Thus I now have a wheel chair and a walking cane that I use for the days when things just get too difficult. It was a bitter pill to swallow at first, as I’d never really seen myself as “Disabled”. All throughout my life no one has ever seen me as a disabled person or in need of anything special. Heck, even the Government deemed me not disabled enough to qualify for any of the things disabled people are entitled too. But, over the years, the CP has become more of a thing and now with added Osteoarthritis, it seems like now is a good time to get the ball rolling in that regard. Just makes it easier if Hubby and I need to go out and we have to bring the wheel chair or the walking cane with us. I have named them Burt and Ernie as they are always together and one kind of helps with the other. Yes, I know. It’s lame but it makes me laugh and makes the whole situation so much easier to accept.


It’s currently 4:32am. I’m still not tired. I think my chances of going back to bed are Buckley’s to none.


Oh well.


Thanks for reading,









Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s